Canoe Safaris has been guiding canoe adventures on the North Island for over 40 years and among our most popular are our Whanganui trips. The Whanganui River originates high on Mt. Tongariro as an alpine stream and also gathers water from Mt. Ngauruhoe and Mt. Ruapehu, before descending off the Volcanic Central Plateau. Many of our trips on the river will take you through stretches almost inaccessible from land.
Tips for Planning a Private Whanganui Tour
We love introducing the Whanganui River to others through a private tour, tailoring it to suit your needs. Many large groups from extended families, to work colleagues and school groups have done our private tours. Contact us for group prices and itinerary options beforehand, so we can best meet your needs. Here are a few of the other tips to consider when you are planning a private tour:
- We offer tour options from single-day trips to five-day safaris, and all are open to private groups. When you contact us for group rates, we can help find the best trip for your group’s fitness level, age and ratio of young, young at heart and more mature members.
- Please have a look at our guide on what to bring along on your trip. If you do not have the right kind of clothing for canoeing, you will likely not enjoy yourself as much. We always advise everyone to have footwear as there are some instances where you will need to step out of the canoe in the river shallows.
- We also offer canoes for hire. We advise our hire clients to organise their own food, tents, sleeping mats and cooking gear. Space is limited so keep it compact. In addition to canoes, we can rent out tents, cookers, coolers, etc – delete this sentence.
The Best Advice You Can Hear Regarding Whanganui River Tours
Our day trip Whanganui river tours are a great way to spend some time on the water without an overnight stay, making them the perfect option for family trips on the Whanganui River. Our advice for day trips includes:
- Our day trip is an easy ride, perfect for families who want a taste of the river without a challenge.
- If you are looking for a place to stay before and after your day trip, we have the Canoe Safaris Lodge in Ohakune to make your base as you explore the Ruapehu area.
- Situated between two national parks, there is no shortage of fun outdoor activities. You can enjoy everything from light hiking options, mountain biking, jet boating and more.
Why Trust Canoe Safaris Regarding Whanganui River Tours
With four decades in operation and thousands of happy customers, we are confident our guided canoe and rafting trips have the right balance of fun, relaxation, and exploration for everyone from families with young children to those over 70 years young. Our guides know the river well and how to navigate it safely with our well maintained, comfortable equipment. At the end of a fun-filled day on the river, they will even produce a superb three-course meal. Contact us today if you are interested in a Whanganui River adventure.